Xavier Serra CV
Xavier Serra is Associate Professor of the Department of Information
and Communication Technologies and Director of the Music Technology
Group at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona. After a
multidisciplinary academic education he obtained a PhD in Computer
Music from Stanford University in 1989 with a dissertation on the
spectral processing of musical sounds that is considered a key
reference in the field. His research interests cover the computational
analysis, description and synthesis of sound and music signals, with a
balance between basic and applied research and approaches from both
scientific/technological and humanistic/artistic disciplines. Dr. Serra
is very active in fields of Audio Signal Processing, Sound and Music
Computing, Music Information Retrieval and Computational Musicology at
the local and international levels, being involved in the editorial
board of a number of journals and conferences and giving lectures on
current and future challenges of these fields. He was awarded an
Advanced Grant of the European Research Council to carry out the
project CompMusic aimed at promoting multicultural approaches in music
- 1989. PhD in Computer Music, Stanford
- 1983. Master in Music, Florida State
- 1981. Bachelor in Biology, Universitat de
1991 - 2009: Teacher in the summer workshops of the Center for Computer Research in Music
and Acoustics (CCRMA) at Stanford
2000 - 2010: Vice-President of Phonos Foundation.
2004 - 2007: Director of the Department of Information
and Communication Technologies (DTIC) at the UPF.
- 2002 - 2005: Head of the Sonology Departament at the Escola Superior de Música de Catalunya.
2000 - 2004: Director of the Audiviosual
Institute of the UPF.
1999 - 2004: Director of the Doctoral program in Computer Science and
Digital Communication of the UPF.
- 1998 - 2000: Vice-Director of the Audiviosual Institute at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- 1991 - 1999: Executive Director of Phonos Foundation.
- 1989 - 1991: Chief Engineer at Yamaha Music Technologies USA, Inc.
- 1989 - 1991: Visiting Scholar at the Center for Computer Research in
Music and Acoustics (CCRMA), Stanford University.
- 1985 - 1989: Researcher and teaching assistant at the Center for Computer
Research in Music and Acoustics (CCRMA), Stanford University.
- Prize "ICREA Academia" by the Generalitat de Catalunya in 2013.
- Advanced Grant of the European Research Council 2010.
- Prize "ICREA Academia" by the Generalitat de Catalunya in 2008.
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra Medal 2007.
- Prize Ciutat de Barcelona 2005.
- Scholarship by the Caixa de Barcelona, 1981 to 1983; Scholarship by
Comité Conjunto Hispano Norteamericano para Asuntos Educativos y
Culturales, 1983 to 1984; Scholarship by Stanford University, 1984 to 1989.
Grant by the Ministerio Educación y Ciencia, 1991 to 1994.
- Pi Kappa Lambda, 1983; Phi Kappa Phi, 1983.
- Co-inventor of 29 patents related to sound synthesis, owned by Yamaha
Corporation and filled in Japan and the USA
- Serra et. al. 1996. "Method of and Apparatus for Analyzing and
Synthesizing a Sound by Extracting and Controlling a Sound Parameter",
U.S.A patent 5,536,902.
- Serra et. al. 1991. "Musical Synthesizer Combining Deterministic and
Stochastic Waveforms", U.S.A. patent 5,029,509.