The Blow(n) Sensor !


 

 




We designed these sensors for an interactive installation in which a user has to blow on a point projected on a wall. When the system detects that a user has blown on the point, it will activate different projections and interactions surrounding the person. The sensor was supposed to be as minimally intrusive as possible because the projection was done over the same wall and we didn´t want any visual bumps over the projection, like a microphone would do. We decided to use a piezo as a vibration sensor taking in account its thickness, on our first attempts to read the signal we connected it directly to one of our analog inputs of theArduino. But when blowing on the piezo, the signal was not enough to pass the threshold. When searching some information about amplifiers on the web we found a simple one-transistor amplifier used by the cool guys at Nerdkits for their "Piezoelectric sound meter" project. We used that circuit but we made one slight modification; instead of adjusting the pot trimmer so that VRe reads 0,33 volts, we adjust Vout to be 2,5 volts to achieve a maximum dynamic range. As such, the visualization was better when data was sent to Processing.

Downloads:

Arduino program: (First autocalibrates piezo input , then sends max and min values, then later when threshold is passed sends serial data.)
Processing Program: Look at the video !




Circuit from NerdKits

 

Hemos diseñado este sensor para una instalación interactiva en la que el usuario tenía que soplar un punto en una pared.
Cuando el sistema detectaba que el usuario había soplado se activarían diferentes proyecciones e interacciones alrededor de él.
Uno de los requisitos era que el sensor tenía que ser lo más discreto posible ya que lo proyección caía sobre él y se quería evitar un bulto en la proyección (si se llegaba a utilizar un micrófono como sensor). Así que decidimos usar un piezo teniendo en cuenta lo delgado y plano que es y; de esta forma no sobresaliera tanto en la pared molestando la proyección. Lo primero que hicimos fue conectarlo directamente a una de las entradas analógicas del Arduino pero la señal que se recibía al soplar era muy débil. Buscando un poco de información sobre amplificadores encontramos un circuito muy sencillo de un solo transistor utilizado por los tios enrollados de NerdKits en su proyecto de "Piezoelectric sound meter", montamos el circuito y seguimos el tutorial sin embargo decidimos hacer una pequeña modificación; en vez de ajustar el potenciómetro para que VRe sea 0,33 voltios, ajustamos el potenciómetro para que Vout sea 2,5 voltios de esta forma teníamos un mejor rango dinámico para la señal y la visualización era mucho mejor cuando enviabamos los datos a Processing.