I am a Ramon y Cajal Research Professor in the TALN Group at the Department of Information and Communication Technologies, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
My main research interest is Computational Linguistics. I work in the areas of Text Summarization, Information Extraction and Semantic Analysis.
I have over 15 years research and development experience with the GATE platform.
I am the creator of the SUMMA Summarization system.
- 2014-2016 - ABLE-TO-INCLUDE: An accessibility layer for the inclusion in the information society of people
with intellectual disabilities. Funded by the CIP Competitiveness and Innovation Framework Programme. Principal Investigator for TALN/UPF.
- 2014-2016 - Dr. Inventor - Promoting Scientific Creativity by Utilising Web-based Research Objects
Funded under the FP7 Call 10. Principal Investigator for TALN/UPF.
- 2013-2014. Tools and Resources for Intelligent Web Applications (Ref. 65 PLAQUID 2013-2014), Pompeu Fabra University, Centre for Teaching Quality and Innovation. Principal Investigator.
- 2013-2015. Scenario Knowledge Acquisition by Textual Reading: Knowledge-based Concise Summarization (TIN2012-38584-C06-03). Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness, Spain. UPF Principal Investigator.
- 2010-2013. Simplext: A Text Simplification System for Spanish (TSI-020302-2010-84). Plan Avanza 2. Ministry of Industry, Tourism, and Trade. Spain. UPF Principal Investigator and Project Scientific Coordinator.
- 2011-2012. Automatic Summarization Tools for Easy Access to Textual Information. (Ref. 47 PLAQUID 2010-2011 1), Pompeu Fabra University, Centre for Teaching Quality and Innovation. Principal Investigator.
- 2010-2015. Methods and Tools for Abstractive Text Summarization. Ramón y Cajal Advanced Research Fellowship (RYC-2009-04291). Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness, Spain. Individual Grant.
- 2009-2011. Natural Language Processing for Discourse Analysis in Psychology. Royal Society, United Kingdom. Principal Investigator.
(Saggion's Publication List)
- Text simplification resources for Spanish. Bott, S. and Saggion, H. Language Resources and Evaluation.
- Frequent Words Improve Readability and Short Words
Improve Comprehension for People with Dyslexia. Rello, L. and Baeza-Yates, R. and Saggion, H. and Dempere-Marco, L. INTERACT 2013, Cape-Town, SA, 2-6 September, 2013.
- One Half or 50%? An Eye-Tracking Study of Number
Representation Readability. Rello, L. and Bautista, S. and Hervás, R. and Baeza-Yates, R. and Saggion, H. and Gervás, P. INTERACT 2013, Cape-Town, SA, 2-6 September, 2013.
- Unsupervised Learning Summarization Templates from Concise Summaries. Saggion, H. 2013 Conference of the North American Chapter of the
Association for Computational Linguistics: Human Language Technologies. June 10 - 12, 2013
- Automatic Text Simplication in Spanish: A Comparative Evaluation of
Complementing Components. Drndarevic, B. and Stajner, S. and Bott, S. and Bautista, S. and Saggion, H.
In Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Intelligent Text Processing and Computational Linguistics. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Samos, Greece, 24-30 March. 2013.