I was a visiting professor at Universitat Pompeu Fabra, in the Artificial Ingelligence Group. In 2009, I obtained a PhD student on Informatics at Universitat Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona/Spain, under supervision of Hector Geffner. More details in my publications, my CV, and my Resume. Most of the software related to publications or the International Planning Competition is available below. If you needed something not listed or find any bug, email me.
- Automated Planning: conformant, contingent, probabilistic, non-deterministic, etc
- Knowledge compilation languages: DNNF, OBDD
- Modeling using SAT and QBF
- Computational Social Choice
- Heuristic search
- Tractability (theoretical and empirical) of Planning, SAT and QBF
- Attended ICAPS 2015, Jerusalem, Israel
- Talk at AAAI-2012 after the JAIR Best Paper Prize 2012 for the paper
Compiling Uncertainty Away in Conformant Planning Problems with Bounded Widthby H. Palacios and H. Geffner. July 25, Toronto, Canada.
- Organizer of the The AAAI-12 Workshop on Problem Solving using Classical Planners, with Jorge Baier and Patrik Haslum
- Reviewer of the conferences AAAI 2015, IJCAI 2016, ICAPS 2014, ECAI 2014, SOCS 2015, UAI 2014, etc.
- I have reviewed for the journals: Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research (JAIR), Artificial Intelligence Journal, Knowledge Based Systems, Information Sciences Journal, ACM-TIST, among others.
- Winner of the Conformant Track of the 5th International Planning Competition. Software available
- Learning and Ensembling Lexicographic Preference Trees with Multiple Kernels. K.Fernandes, J.S. Cardoso, H. Palacios. 2016 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN 2016).
- Temporal Planning With Required Concurrency Using Classical Planning. S. Jiménez, A. Jonsson and H. Palacios. Proceedings of the Int. Conf. on Automated Planning and Scheduling. ICAPS 2015.
- Robust Winners and Winner Determination Policies under Candidate Uncertainty.. C. Boutilier, J. Lang, J. Oren, H. Palacios. Twenty-Eighth AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI). July 27-31, 2014. Québec, Canada. Premiliminar version at Workshop COMSOC 2012.
- Compiling Contingent Planning into Classical Planning: New Translations and Results. H. Palacios, A. Albore, H. Geffner. Workshop on Models and Paradigms for Planning under Uncertainty: a Broad Perspective, held at ICAPS 2014.
- Automatic Derivation of Finite-State Machines for Behavior Control. B. Bonet, H. Palacios, H. Geffner. Nectar paper. AAAI 2010. pp. 1656--1659. Software
- Brothers in Arms? On AI Planning and Cellular Automata. J. Hoffmann, N. Fates, H. Palacios. ECAI 2010. pp 223--228
- Compiling Uncertainty Away in Non-Deterministic Conformant Planning. A. Albore, H. Palacios, H. Geffner. ECAI 2010. pp 465--470
- Compiling Uncertainty Away in Conformant Planning Problems with Bounded Width. H. Palacios and H. Geffner. JAIR. 2009. pp 623-675. Benchmarks, scripts for running planners, logs of experiments. The T0 conformant planner, below.
- Automatic Derivation of Memoryless Policies and Finite-State Controllers Using Classical Planners.. B. Bonet, H. Palacios, H. Geffner. ICAPS-2009. Thessaloniki, Grece. pp. 34-41.
- A Translation-based Approach to Contingent Planning. A. Albore, H. Palacios, H. Geffner.. IJCAI-09. Pasadena, CA, USA. pp. 1623 - 1628
- From Conformant into Classical Planning: Efficient Translations That May be Complete Too. H. Palacios and H. Geffner. Proc. of the 17th Int. Conf. on Planning and Scheduling 2007 (ICAPS-07). pp. 264 - 271. Providence, CA. AAAI Press. Best student paper! slides
- Fast and Informed Action Selection for Planning with Sensing. A. Albore, H. Palacios, H. Geffner. Proc. 12th Conf. Spanish AI (CAEPIA-07), Salamanca, 11/07. pp 1-10. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 4788, Springer 2007.
- Compiling Uncertainty Away: Solving Conformant Planning Problems Using a Classical Planner (Sometimes). H. Palacios and H. Geffner. Proc. 21st Nat. Conf. on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-2006). pp 900-905. Boston - USA. (slides presented at Workshop on Planning Under Uncertainty and Execution Control - ICAPS 2006)
- Mapping Conformant Planning into SAT through Compilation and Projection. H. Palacios and H. Geffner. Lecture Notes in Computer Sciences, vol 4177, pp 311-320. Also presented in CP-2005 1st International Workshop on Quantification in Constraint Programming. Sitges, Spain. Oct/2005. First presented as Reducción de la Planificación Conformante a SAT mediante Compilación a d-DNNF. XI Conferencia de la Asociación Española para la Inteligencia Artificial (CAEPIA-05). Vol I. pp. 353-362. Santiago de Compostela, Spain. Nov/2005. Best paper finalist! (Slides for CAEPIA-05)
- Pruning Conformant Plans by Counting Models on Compiled d-DNNF Representations. H. Palacios, B. Bonet, A. Darwiche, H. Geffner. Proc. of the 15th Int. Conf. on Planning and Scheduling (ICAPS-05). Monterey, CA. AAAI Press, pp 141-150.
- Planning as Branch and Bound: A Constraint Programming Implementation; H. Palacios and H. Geffner. XVIII Latin-American Conference on Informatics (CLEI-2002), Montevideo, Uruguay, 11/2002
- 2015. Prime Implicate enforcing by bucket elimination. Correct a bug in the version included in Translator 2009.
- 2009. Translator Conformant Planner. Including the conformant planner T0 as used for JAIR 2009. It is a reimplementation the winner of the 5th International Planning Competition - IPC5 and a variation of the used in the IPPC 2008
- 2009. Source code of T0, to be used in conjuntion with Translator Conformant Planner.
Awards and Honors
Best Paper Prize 2012
to the paper Compiling
Uncertainty Away in Conformant Planning Problems with Bounded Width,
by H. Palacios and H. Geffner. Award by the Journal of Artificial
Intelligence Research (JAIR) Advisory Board.
Honourable Mention at the 2009 Artificial Intelligence Dissertation Award by ECCAI, the European Coordinating Committee for Artificial Intelligence.
2010 ICAPS Best Dissertation Award by the International Conference on Automated Planning and Scheduling.
Best Student Paper Award at the 17th International Conference on Automated Planning and Scheduling (ICAPS), 2007.
Winner of the Conformant track of the Fifth Int. Planning Competition (IPC-5), 2006.
Best Paper Finalist at the 11th Conference of the Spanish Association for Artificial Intelligence (CAEPIA), 2005.